Monday, April 8, 2013

Some riff raff, a lonesome brother, and a petty Justin Vernon.

There are some sure fire ways to win my heart: play the harmonica, strum a guitar*, and feed me good food.

Simultaneously accomplishing these things is certainly not required. However, it would be nice. 


Just saying.


Anywho. It's no surprise then that my morning was filled with a few of these things in some capacity. I found myself looking for some new bluegrass bands and I stumbled upon a lovely little trio from New Orleans, Hurray For the Riff Raff. They have spunk. And I like it. They, along with the Avett Bros, accompanied my excel sheets this morning. And it was glorious, as much as working with Microsoft excel... on a PC... could possibly be.


Oh. And then Justin Vernon blew my mind with his new project "The Shouting Matches", a collaboration with friends in which Justin forgoes his falsetto driven "whatever could the meaning of life be" lyrics for a pep that sounds more like it comes fresh off a Tom Petty tour than a lonesome cabin in Wisconsin. And I may have just stolen that review from NPR. But it's true. It sounds like Tom Petty. #sorryimnotsorry.


Listen to 'Seven Sisters' first. Personal fave so far.


NPR. You never fail me. One day, I will write you a song of my undying love. Perhaps.


Be blessed friends:

Hurray for the Riff Raff

Scott Avett

The Shouting Matches

 *or, even better, a banjo.

1 comment: